Sunday, April 5, 2009

Amazing Grace

I’m posting this entry retroactively. I’ve been unexpectedly out of town the past 4 days and without internet. Did you notice I finally missed a day of posting? I think it’s my first absence. I’m no Cal Ripken, I suppose.

I did miss reading everyone’s posts and hearing from you and will do my best to catch up. We all love Google Reader.

Alas, I found out early Thursday morning that my grandmother passed away. She lived in Tennessee, so LW and I, along with our 15 month old son, basically spent Thursday through Sunday driving there and back. It wasn’t the happiest occasion to have to make a trip, but I did feel really blessed to attend the service. Grandmother led an exemplary life, living as a model of Christian faith and cheer to all those around her. Her family and friends that came Saturday to the services testified to that. She would have turned 95 this year. I’ll miss her, but it is times like these when having a faith gives you a joy you wouldn’t otherwise have.

I’m not sad. Strange as it may sound, I’m happy for her. The opening song they sang in the tiny country church she attended sums up my feelings for me. The song? Amazing Grace. The best line goes, “I once was blind, but now I see …” It’s talking about spiritual truth, but I couldn’t help thinking that my grandmother now resides in a better place, and, yes, she can again see.
Grandmother lost her sight a few years back and knowing that she went to Heaven lifted my spirit, but so did knowing that she’s a new body, one not marred by the physical ailments that had gotten her, nor the blindness that took her sight. Thank you Lord for your amazing grace! And, thank you, Grandmother for the wonderful life you lived and the example that you set.

5 comments:

  1. I did notice your absence, Dan.
    I'm really sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you can view it with such a wonderful attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful, Dan. I do believe in life after life. I'm sure your grandmother knows how much you love her and honor her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also sorry for your loss, but I love your positive spirit and agree with Edie that I'm sure she knows how much you love her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. I'm a bit tired at the moment, but otherwise doing very well. I do, however, need to get back on track with my writing and blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m impressed you only missed one day. I’m sorry to hear about your gran, but it sounds like she led a happy life with much love.

    ReplyDelete