Saturday, March 14, 2009

Favorite Things

It was a dark and stormy … morning. Actually, it’s Saturday morning with dawn just breaking. We did sleep late – 6AM!! Wahoo for us.

I’ve always liked the song, “Favorite Things” or whatever it’s called that gets sung during Sound of Music. The lyrics, courtesy of http://www.stlyrics.com/:

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things
When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad

Julie Andrews didn’t sing about writing, but one of my favorite things that I look forward to all week is getting up on Saturday morning and writing. She's right -- remembering the things you love help you make it through an otherwise rough week. On Saturday, I make a batch of coffee just for me (the dog and LW don’t drink it), huddle in front of the computer, and write.

"Nuff said," says Stan Lee.

What about you? Got a few favorite things?

2 comments:

  1. Coffee and keyboard is my favorite thing(s) also. Add a little Miles playing in the background and it's a damn near perfect start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true, David. And, with such a good start to the day, I must say that now (as it is currently winding down), it seems to have been perfect.

    Every day needs to be a Saturday!

    ReplyDelete