Friday, March 6, 2009

You're Fired!

Nope, I'm not Donald Trump nor have I been fired, thankfully. I did, however, come across an interesting bit of English trivia today that I thought you might enjoy in today's turbulent economic times. You decide if this is true or not --

The history behind saying, "you're fired," actually stems from olden times when the only way for a settlement to get rid of somebody (short of killing them) was to burn their house down.

Well, even if it may not be true, you can use it at dinner tonight to impress your friends. My sympathies are with all the folks who have been laid off of late, but I'd say that is different than being fired. Incidentally, the only history I can find as to laid off is that it came about in 1955 as a euphemism for being temporarily unemployed.

Last, if you don't already have it as a book mark, add the handy http://www.etymonline.com, an online etymology dictionary.

Happy Friday!!!

8 comments:

  1. That's great if it's true. Sounds like we have it much better these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh, David. I hadn't thought about that, but I'd agree with you. Bad economy and all, we definitely have it better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey D. A. - The Online Etymology Dictionary is a GREAT resource, thanks... but I will say that being laid off is no better than being "fired" if you have no hope of returning to you job even if the economy improves. I have not been laid off myself but I have see too many of my friend go out the door forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew? I'll be sure to info dump that one at lunch today :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose you're right, Marty, but I guess somehow in my mind getting laid off just sounds a little more pleasant than getting fired. Hopefully, I won't find out about either anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi PJ -- I admit that I already did make use of it this morning and did at least elicit a chuckle from a co-worker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I work for the company NCR. and I heard a rumor that one of the ways 'you're fired' helped be a meaning of being terminated employment was because he brought down the personals executive desk and set it ablaze in the front yard of the NCR headquarters. I am still looking to see if Mr Patterson did actually do this or not and thought I found a website to substantiate it but didn't bookmark it and can not find it again..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Green Dragon - your rendition is very entertaining. I can just picture a big wooden desk ablaze in front of the HQ building. Having your desk burned would definitely send the message that you weren't wanted. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete